Hey guys! My internet connection has been spotty to say the least. Updates may be infrequent this week.
Yesterday, my good friend and former co-worker, Sandra surprised me at work. This woman overflows with positivity. Her and her husband are a fitness power couple. He will be doing the Louisville Ironman at the end of the month. I love being around these two.
It turns out we both have the same running goal this year. She convinced me to sign up for the ING Hartford Marathon in October. I’m nervous and excited all at the same time. We won’t be running together, but I know her positive vibes will help carry me through both my race and training plan. I plan to reach this goal by using this training plan.
I’m also excited about this race because of their commitment to being “green“. Check out their impressive commitment to sustainability in their community.
- Serving all natural, organic or locally sourced post-race food
- Providing hybrid vehicles for transportation
- Initiating an aggressive recycling program
- Offering a 40-person water bubbler to cut down on waste
- Supplying water and food in compostable serving products
- Off-setting carbon footprint of the event with high-quality carbon credits
- Collecting running shoes for recycling into running tracks
- Providing recyclable Heatsheets for runners
- Stuffing non-woven drawstring goodie bags to eliminate plastic bag waste
- Donating all extra food to local food banks
- Creating incentives for participants to bike to the race
- Ensuring spectators can use public transportation to get to the race
- Increasing awareness of CT Farmland Preservation Trust
The best news of the week is that we are going on VACATION!!!!! We will be heading to Napa Valley in October. The last time we had a real vacation was our Honeymoon three years ago. Clearly, we need to be more committed to taking regular vacations. I am so excited, I can’t stand it!!! Bring on the vino!
Do you normally make commitments a year in advance? Also, what do you do to recover after a big fitness event?